incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:46:18 GMT
On Sat, 2012-04-28 at 15:30 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

had

> >> The important number is really size * # of downloads.  10MB is larger
> >> than the releases for many Apache projects, and these downloads are
> >> all done through the mirror network, to preserve bandwidth.  As I
> >> understand it, the ASF is using donated bandwidth, and it needs to be
> >> conserved.  So large/frequent downloads go to the mirror network
> >> rather than the websites.
> >>
> >> I wonder whether one solution is to serve up the documentation
> >> downloads via MirrorBrain and then have the wiki just link to those?
> >
> > Could be, but it's also the number of downloads that is a concern and I
> > kind of think downloads of the full doc package would be relatively
> > infrequent  (not sure how to answer that question definitively today,
> > however)
>
> One approach:
>
> As I mentioned in a previous post, the wiki has Google Analytics
> enabled on it, but for some legacy account that we don't have access
> to.  If that can be updated to point to the new GA codes then we can
> get a baseline of what the download activity is for the OOo 3.3
> guides.  Based on that we'd have a better idea on whether this will be
> a bandwidth issue or not.
>
> I think Raphael has the admin access needed to do the GA updates.

Hi Rob

Right - I suppose we have some anecdotal experience - the docs went out
via the wiki for a number of years, during most, (All I think) that time
the wiki was running in a VM on a single server, housed in the machine
closet used for the dev team in Hamburg, so... I would lean towards
thinking it wasn't a huge bandwidth hog.. but nothing beats real
numbers.

//drew