incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:23:25 GMT
On Sat, 2012-04-28 at 14:54 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Do you have a preference?  If you host the guides externally, then
> >> you can drive traffic to the ODFAuthors site and maybe get more
> >> volunteers or even donations.
> >
> > Everything we have produced to date is stored on the beneficiaries'
> > wikis (OOo and LO). Our strong preference is to continue this
> > arrangement. We do NOT want to drive traffic to the ODFAuthors
> > website. Experience suggests that we do not get quality volunteers
> > that way, and the site is not set up to be user-friendly to the
> > general public.
> >
> > IMO it would be highly preferable for all concerned if any potential
> > volunteer techwriters were steered towards towards the AOO project,
> > not ODFAuthors, if those people are interested in working on AOO docs.
> > AOO really needs to have its own user docs team producing materials
> > under the Apache license.
> >
> >> From policy perspective, having the guides on the wiki is debatable.
> >> I could see it either way.
> >>
> >> In favor of it, I'd say:
> >>
> >> 1) It is a community wiki where content is welcome from anyone
> >> 2) We're currently hosting the OOo 3.3 guides there.
> >>
> >> Opposing would be:
> >>
> >> 1) We should not be distributing large files via the website
> >> (including the wiki).   This is a bandwidth issue.
> >
> > What is a "large file"? The individual chapters are in the 500KB - 2MB
> > range; the full books are rarely over 10MB.
> >
> > I have no idea how many copies of these files are downloaded per day,
> > month, year.
> >

> The important number is really size * # of downloads.  10MB is larger
> than the releases for many Apache projects, and these downloads are
> all done through the mirror network, to preserve bandwidth.  As I
> understand it, the ASF is using donated bandwidth, and it needs to be
> conserved.  So large/frequent downloads go to the mirror network
> rather than the websites.
>
> I wonder whether one solution is to serve up the documentation
> downloads via MirrorBrain and then have the wiki just link to those?

Could be, but it's also the number of downloads that is a concern and I
kind of think downloads of the full doc package would be relatively
infrequent  (not sure how to answer that question definitively today,
however)
- anyway, maybe it's worth asking Infra if they have a preference. 10
Megs might be bigger then most of the source releases from other
projects but isn't really that big, in an of itself. I would think using
one of the wiki platforms is a lower barrier, process wise, for all
concerned.

Just my first thought on that.

//drew