incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:47:52 GMT
On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 07:15 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:27, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can ODFAuthors use the AOO logo on the cover of the user guides we are
> >> producing to AOO?
> >>

> > The relevant ASF policy is here:
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#booktitle
> >
> > Note the preferred attribution.
> >
> >> Related question: with the license for these books being CC-BY, not
> >> Apache-2, I have never been clear just what relationships these books
> >> will have to AOO. I realise that they will not be considered part of
> >> the official AOO product offering, but beyond that I'm not sure... are
> >> they "community produced documentation" or "third party documentation"
> >> or what? I know this has been talked about, but if there's been a
> >> definitive statement I've apparently missed it.
> >>

> > I don't think it is an either/or thing.  ODFAuthors is both 3rd party
> > as well as community-produced.  It is certainly 3rd party:  It is not
> > under the ALv2 license; it does not have source files in SVN;  it is
> > not being voted on the PMC for release; it is not being distributed
> > along with other officially released project modules.
> >
> >> Personally, I don't care what status the project decides that these
> >> books can have; I just want to know what it is, so I don't
> >> inadvertently do something wrong.
> >>

> > Main thing is to avoid having the user be confused about the source of
> > the documentation.  It is from ODFAuthors, not AOO.  So when we host
> > the files on the wiki, we should make sure it is clear to the user
> > where to report errors,where they can go to volunteer, who they can
> > thank, etc.
>

> OK, it looks like as a practical matter, using the logo on the cover
> is out, at least for the first iteration of the Getting Started book.
> We're unlikely to have time to get a cover design approved by
> trademarks before the book is published -- unless Drew or someone is
> even more speedy than usual at coming up with a design. No problem;
> there's always next time...

Well, how speedy is speedy - I was going to work on the couple of
wiki/site pages I raised my hand on next - but I could work on a cover
today instead. If it is just an official logo and a little text work -
no biggie at all.

> assuming we want the logo there at all.

w/something other then the official logo a bit longer as it means
actually designing something :)

Let me know either way,

//drew