incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: OOo / zlib license oddness ...
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:40:52 GMT
Hi Andre,

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 10:35 +0800, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Thanks Michael for your analysis.

	No problem :-) hope it helps.

> I dont't think that copying the files is a problem.  After all we are
> already unzipping the zlib tar ball to a location of our choosing.  Why
> should copying some of the files to yet another location change
> anything ?

	Copying these files, obscures the fact that unzip.c and another file (I
forget which) come from contrib/minizip and not the normal, well
understood main zlib source, which people are used to having
well-understood and sane licensing.

>  They are not part of the source package and the binary packages will
> contain the resulting zlib library anyway, regardless of the location
> of any of its source files.  But, of course, I am not a laywer.

	Of course ! the resulting zlib binary will contained a compiled version
of zlib/contrib/minizip/unzip.c - as I see it anyhow - not for Linux,
but for Windows and Mac. And naturally neither of us are lawyers :-)

> Regarding the license issue:
> I agree that the licensing may appear to be confusing because the
> LICENSE file referenced in unzip.c is missing.

	Quite, the question is, what did that file contain ? and/or where is
it ?

>   But if you look closely
> at the text, it says that the license text is also included in zip.h,
> and that file exists and contains the same license text that is also
> listed in MiniZip64_info.txt (in the same directory.)  That license is
> This text is contained in main/LICENSE at around line 2017.  I see no
> problem with this.

	It seems highly unclear to me; the contrib code is ( I assume ) dropped
in from a separate project / location. The unzip.c header reads:

https://github.com/madler/zlib/blob/master/contrib/minizip/unzip.c#L16

[snip]
      Decryption code comes from crypt.c by Info-ZIP but has been
      See the accompanying file LICENSE, version 2000-Apr-09 or later
      (the contents of which are also included in zip.h) for terms of use.
      If, for some reason, all these files are missing, the Info-ZIP license
      also may be found at:  ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/license.html
[/snip]

	There is no LICENSE file in this directory, nor in the minizip
distribution itself ;-) Interestingly api.c also claims to be api.h, and
there is plenty of scope for obsolete / un-audited statements there.
Presumably this is why it lives in contrib/

	As we agree, this is somewhat confusing; however - given that
confusion, we have a handy link to the infozip license embedded, and the
ftp link (to an HTML page!) still resolves, and produces a page
containing:

	"This is version 2009-Jan-02 of the Info-ZIP license."

	which seems similar to the versioning of the (now gone) file referred
to in the unzip.c file (right?). There are a number of other conditions
there:

	ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/license.html

	My suspicion is that, perhaps, that code was copied from infozip's
package, whose download I just hunted down for you here:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/develop

	Which contains a LICENSE file and a different zip.h reference.

	Sadly I don't have more time to dig into this for you guys. Of course,
with luck it's not an issue; it's certainly a rather convoluted one, and
it's only for some rather unclear / small pieces of unzip.c.

	All the best,

		Michael.