incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Unifying download logic, especially from NL pages?
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:49:42 GMT
On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 17:22 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> The vast majority of our downloads come from one of three pages:
>
> 1) www.openoffice.org/
> 2) download.openoffice.org/
> 3) www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> These three pages currently forward download requests to SourceForge.
>
> There are other places on the website that do other things.  For
> example,  the Dutch and Norwegian pages point directly to MirrorBrain
> downloads:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/da/
> http://www.openoffice.org/no/
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/
>
> (There may be others as well, but I noticed those three)
>
> Other ML pages do other things.  For example, the German page just
> points to download.openoffice.org, where the user is given the English
> install instructions:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>
> The French page manages its own download page that directs to
> download.services.openoffice.org, which uses MirrorBrain:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>
> To put it kindly, the logic here is sub-optimally factored.
>
> Is there anything we can do to improve on this?
>
> For example, imagine if we had either a Javascript function or REST
> API that allowed things like this:
>
> download(product,language, platform, version)
>
> Like:
>
> download("aoo","en_us","win32","3.4.0")
>
> or
>
> download("sdk","","","latest")   (We could allow "latest" as a
> psedu-version number so most NL pages can code their download logic
> once and not need to update it when a new release comes out.  We
> centralize the logic of what is the "latest" version for a particular
> language in one place)
>
> As a REST API the same could look like this:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download?product=aoo&locale=en_us&platform=win32&version=-3.4.0
>
> Does this make sense to anyone?  It all about avoiding have the
> website make too many assumptions about release file names, mirror
> infrastructure and other implementation details of the download
> delivery process.  Instead we should have a centralized place where
> that logic lives, so it can be maintained in one place, debugged in
> one place, and when we have a new release, updated in one place.

Hi Rob

Yes - it's not hard links to the mirrorbrain, other sub-domains I looked
at over the last few days use external repositories, one having not been
updated with releases from 3.2.1.

If I may ask a question to the group in general:

This page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages

The list of email addresses, has anyone sent an email directly to each
entry asking them specifically if they have any interest in the page, or
any comment about what to do with it... maybe it is a waste of time, but
if not and no one objects I'd waste the time to do so.

Otherwise, many of those sub-domains IMO need to be replaced with a
generic page pointing to a general how to get involved page. We need to
decide how to handle references to legacy releases also, particularly
those external links, do we keep a reference somewhere (the wiki maybe)
and for how long?

Just a quick thought from reading your email,

//drew