incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:24:01 GMT
On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 11:15 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> My point is that we are going to be bombarded with support questions,
> regardless if we choose not to, is not up to us.
>
> Sure you can redirect them to the ML/Forums, but that would be done
> 99% of the time, which will frustrate the user and the handlers.
>
> That's the point I wanted to make based on the experience of handling
> these accounts in the past.
>
> Like I said, I am more concern with solving the issue of operation
> first than figuring out which new accounts to create and why/why not.

Well, I am not advocating removal of any existing accounts.

What I am advocating is the creation of a set un-ambiguous official
Apache OpenOffice project accounts.

I believe that there is work needing to be done to establish the Apache
OpenOffice identity.

It seems to me that this is an appropriate step to further that goal.

//drew

> On 4/17/12, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 11:02 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> >> I think this provide a bit of confussion on the user end. Also I
> >> recognize the struggle of keeping the accounts active. Making multiple
> >> accounts will increase the job.
> >>
> >> The blog itself has not been updated that frequently, and I am not
> >> sure if this will increase as we get a release.
> >>
> >> Most of the use of the accounts on my experience is support-like
> >> issues. So relying on one single point of contact is also pretty bad.
> >>
> >> Having an AOO-Support and AOO-Annoucement is equally not good strategy
> >> in my account because people will tend to stick to the account that
> >> they see crossing their path. (Just because we structure one way,
> >> doesnt mean users will do so).
> >>
> >> One of the issues of openofficeorg accounts both on Facebook Google
> >> plus and twitter had been the issue of keeping the content fresh and
> >> also interacting as a group as opposed to an individual.
> >>
> >> I would argue to stop taking liberties on creating new accounts and
> >> instead take liberties on designing a good strategy to solve some of
> >> these basic issues that tackle these problems.
> >>
> >> So far I am not even sure how these accounts could be handle by
> >> infrastructure and what are the requirements. Rob mention that
> >> infrastructure should manage these, but I am also not sure how long
> >> will they take to proxy the messages specially when it comes to
> >> support and we get 100 inquiries a day (for example).
> >
> > Hi Alexandro,
> >
> > Good points - I would simply emphasize that I am not at all saying that
> > the apacheoo accounts should be about support - not at all.
> >
> > The ApacheOO accounts (lets focus on just twitter and identi.ca) for a
> > moment - would be used specifically as a broadcast mechanism.
> >
> > How I as envisioning it, at least.
> >
> > //drew

Apache

I'd like to