incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Legacy Google Analytics Use
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:49:41 GMT
On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:33 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:09 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> Out of curiosity I scanned our ooo-site files for Google Analytics
> >> tracking code.  Much to my surprise I found that 15 different GA
> >> accounts were in use, tracking different portions of the website.  Not
> >> 15 different pages, but 15 different independent users who had
> >> inserted GA tracking code into the website and associated it with 15
> >> different GA accounts.
> >>
> >> (I only checked the static files, not the wiki or forums.)
> >>
> >> If you recall, when I initially raised the suggestion of adding GA
> >> tracking to the website, there was general concern about privacy and
> >> treating data derived from GA carefully, and keeping it under PPMC
> >> control.  So it is safe to assume that having such info going to 15
> >> unknown parties would also not meet with the PPMC's approval, even
> >> though this evidently has been occurring for quite some time.
> >>
> >> So, I've gone ahead and fixed this.  I've made a commit that unifies
> >> all the legacy tracking under a single GA ID.  As discussed before I'm
> >> happy to add any PPMC member (or Mentor) to the GA account, if given
> >> your Google login ID.
> >>
> > Hi Rob
> >
> > Great, glad you did all of that.
> >
> > It is already live on the main page.
> >
> > I don't see a privacy statement - which I think should of happened at
> > the same time.
> >

> Well, it should have happened months or years ago whenever the 15
> people added that code.

Yea - but spilt milk and all that.

> In any case, I did add a privacy policypage, which you can see linked here:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

Ah - I missed that, ok good.

> > I suppose that requires an update to the footer, not sure I know how to
> > do that - but it may be in the mail list here (I'll look)
> >
> > Otherwise, I really think we either add the privacy statement now or
> > pull the GA injection till it is ready. It's a little thing, but not one
> > with much wiggle room IMO.
> >
> > off to search the mail archive for instructions :)
> >

> Well, you see what we have.   I think it is sufficient though it does
> require an extra click to find.  If we're willing to do a big build of
> the entire site, it can be made cleaner by editing
> ooo-site/templates/footer.html so there is a "privacy" link directly
> from the footer.  That is what I did on the podling site.   But we
> would probably want to coordinate that, to see if there are other
> site-wide changes we can trigger at the same time.

It makes sense to me to add a link to the footer, eventually :), but
given there is a link now from the license page, not a huge rush then.

Lets see - on the forums there is no GA code in any of the actual sites,
however, there is the landing page. Which this second does still have
such.

I started and I suppose finished a re-write of that page a couple weeks
ago. Hager was good enough to poke me on it yesterday regarding having
it deployed. I thought I'd sent it all to Rapheal but apparently I
didn't as the email is sitting right here in my drafts folder.

So for those that don't recall the mockup is here:
http://baseanswers.com/temp/index_test.html

Not sure about the graphics now.. *laughing*

Anyway
- one, I can send the files to Rapheal today.
- Two, the page uses a Google CSE, I don't see any good reason for that
not to belong to the same google account as the one for GA, so I'd be
happy to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

//drew