incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legacy Google Analytics Use
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:26:42 GMT
On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:09 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Out of curiosity I scanned our ooo-site files for Google Analytics
> tracking code.  Much to my surprise I found that 15 different GA
> accounts were in use, tracking different portions of the website.  Not
> 15 different pages, but 15 different independent users who had
> inserted GA tracking code into the website and associated it with 15
> different GA accounts.
>
> (I only checked the static files, not the wiki or forums.)
>
> If you recall, when I initially raised the suggestion of adding GA
> tracking to the website, there was general concern about privacy and
> treating data derived from GA carefully, and keeping it under PPMC
> control.  So it is safe to assume that having such info going to 15
> unknown parties would also not meet with the PPMC's approval, even
> though this evidently has been occurring for quite some time.
>
> So, I've gone ahead and fixed this.  I've made a commit that unifies
> all the legacy tracking under a single GA ID.  As discussed before I'm
> happy to add any PPMC member (or Mentor) to the GA account, if given
> your Google login ID.

Hi Rob

Great, glad you did all of that.

It is already live on the main page.

I don't see a privacy statement - which I think should of happened at
the same time.

I suppose that requires an update to the footer, not sure I know how to
do that - but it may be in the mail list here (I'll look)

Otherwise, I really think we either add the privacy statement now or
pull the GA injection till it is ready. It's a little thing, but not one
with much wiggle room IMO.

off to search the mail archive for instructions :)

//drew