incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundled extensions
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 01:40:31 GMT
On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 03:28 +0200, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 4/10/12 3:45 PM, O.Felka wrote:

> >> That URL is an external one, not one that we control. Do you know
> >> what the behavior is in OOo 3.3 when checking for an update of that
> >> extension?
> >
> > No, I have no idea what OOo 3.3 will do. But I think it would behave the
> > same.
> > But I'm sure we wouldn't have bundled it.
> >

> yes it should it be the same problem in OOo3.3. I would propose that we
> don't bundle extensions that will include an external update Url or
> something like that.
>
> We should bundle extension only that will be supported and completely
> handled by our extension repo.

ah - ok, that sounds reasonable at it's face. Now if an extension is
published at the AOO ext. repository and it's implemented in a scripted
language (basic, js, python, etc) the oxt (extension body) is the source
code, so that makes easy sense.

What if the extension is in java or c++ or some other language where an
external source repository is used, however the extension runtime and
support vector are both through the AOO ext. repository - I would assume
given a suitable license on the source that it would be, eligible, for
consideration.

Anyway - I'm putting forth a question that doesn't need to be answered
today, just thinking out loud I suppose.

//drew