incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS]Alternative for Report Builder?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 07:01:30 GMT
On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 01:48 -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> [...]
There is no or no easy replacement for this external stuff that is license compatible. Not
nice and we would love to have alternatives ...
compatible then we will continue the support and include it as bundled extensions.
> >> The pdfimport could use pdfbox, however my understanding is that even with
> >> a replacement the feature was not really complete without OCR
> >> capabilities, (yes
> >> tesseract) but well.. it involves real work(TM).
> > Hi Pedro,
> >
> > Point taken - It is not that there are any known issues, or breakages,
> > only that no person has taken the step of building and pushing to the
> > group for testing - is that the most accurate understanding?
>
> Yes, I think that we will eventually get to it when we find time to
> think out of release mode. Most of the few things that we did
> lose will need a new home, just like happened with dmake
> (which is really crappy but was much more necessary than
> Pentaho or pdfimport).

right - and in the case of Report Builder it is not just that the
designer is removed from the build, but updates (patches) in source
files comprising the core application are excluded also - I think that
is true, yes? Which I would take it then that in this specific
extensions case it is not just building it for publishing on SF but to
make it functional would require someone building what is then a
derivative of the entire suite, that is how it appears to me, is that
accurate do you think?

thanks,

//drew