incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS]Alternative for Report Builder?
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:08:47 GMT
On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 17:00 -0300, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > >it is indeed a missing feature but we can't change it for now. But if
> > >somebody is interested to build it as an extension and host it somewhere
> > >else we will give support here how to do that.
> >
> > Why Oracle did not donate this OXT (and other like PDF Import)?
> > ASF could not contact them to talk about?
>
> The code is under the software grant. The issue here is that these
> extensions rely on GPL libraries, though all related code is now under
> ALv2:
>
> * The MYSQL Connector:
>   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/mysqlc/
>
> * The Report Builder:
>   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/reportbuilder/
>   (extension code)
>   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/reportdesign/
>   (office code)
>
> * PDF Import:
>   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/sdext/source/pdfimport/
>
> That is, someone has to build them (and maintain them) as external
> projects.

ah - the rub...a mere staffing issue

Alright just out of curiosity
- in the past the main project bug tracker was used for these extensions
- and indeed all three where primary vendor staff supported
-- but you are saying that as of now these are not supported, which is
to say, or are you, that if someone opens an issue now the honest
response is 'not our bug'?

or in other words, unless someone specifically takes over maintenance
now it doesn't matter what you call it, there is no reason to expect a
fix.

bummer!

Though I suppose at least at one level you are saying this: that no
matter whether someone takes over maintenance or not, official releases
of AOO will not be tied to these extensions, they are officially
external to the primary release. Is that the bottom line here?

//drew