incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nancy K <nancythirt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] AOO logo rebranding...
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 03:10:15 GMT

 From: Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:58 PM
Subject: RE: [PROPOSAL] AOO logo rebranding...

Ah, for the web site.  The coin drops.

Yes, definitely orb1 for me too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 18:57
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're getting very close to a 3.4 launch, and the time has come to move
> forward with a logo rebranidng for at least the user portal  web site,
> http://www.openoffice.org, and possibly the project web site as well,
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/.
>
> Quite a number of logo variations have been proposed for uses within
> OpenOffice, both internal to the program and other uses, page sidebars,
> Forum header, etc.
>
> The most recent discussion can be found at the following thread:
>
> http://markmail.org/thread/fvgwlvva5ziib7qg
>
> a conversation started by Rob on March 15.
>
> You will note that one of  the outcomes of this discussion was the desire
> that a new logo NOT include the word "incubating" in the logo.
>
> What I think we need to focus on now, and get Lazy Consensus on, is a new
> logo for the upcoming release, 3.4. Internally, we've already started
> calling OpenOffice.org "Apache OpenOffice", and we need to move forward to
> complete this re-branding to the public.
>
> I've put 3 "web header" logos in...
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> * AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg<
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg>
> * AOO_orb2_logo_webSite.jpg<
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb2_logo_webSite.jpg>
> * AOOfeather_logo_webSite.png<
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOOfeather_logo_webSite.png>
>
> Please respond to this e-mail by selecting your favorite from these 3.

So hard to pick.  These are all good choices.  But I think
AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg is the best choice for the website.

(My second choice would have been AOOfeather_logo_webSite.png.  I really
like that as well, but considering the wide range of languages spoken in
the larger user community, a logo that has the extra text slogan would be
less universal.)