incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:13:12 GMT
On Monday, 23. April 2012 at 04:29, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 22, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> > > Sorry, thought you answered your own question there.  But since you
> > > bring it up, there is no requirement for a DISCLAIMER file. There is
> > > however a requirement for making the user aware of the incubation
> > > disclaimer.  See this page, where several options are listed:
> > >
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer
> >
> > Keep in mind that page is clearly labeled as a "DRAFT".
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#status
> >
> > The DISCLAIMER file is certainly in the correct place in the Source distribution.
> >
> > I think that I answered the question, but I would like to ask our project Mentors
if this will be an issue in IPMC voting. I've seen enough on general@i.a.o to know that it
may be for some and not others.

> Not an issue for me either. That fact that OpenOffice is under
> incubation at Apache has been leading tech news for nearly a year now.
> People who know nothing else about Apache know this fact.
>
> > So, while this is not a problem for me, if it is likely IPMC will request an RC2
over this we should know now.

> But worth taking it through the voting process, IMHO, to see if there
> are any other issues. One big issue or several smaller ones could be
> enough for us to kill the vote prematurely. But it would be extremely
> inefficient to waste 48-hours preparing another RC every time someone
> finds a single thing that is not consistent with the
> self-contradictory draft incubation guidelines. There is no better
> time than the present to do a complete review.

Exactly, because many people prefer to give feedback on RC's only. So let us continue to collect
all the feedback and ideally people create issues for all found problems and request the show
stopper flag. That makes it easier for others who intend to fix these problems to get an overview.

Thanks
Juergen

> -Rob
>
> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >

> > > -Rob

DISCLAIMER in a binary package enough to prevent release? I think probably not, but this may
be an edge case. The application pop-ups do mention "Incubation" and every page linked back
to thewww.openoffice.org shows the Disclaimer...