incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: logo source files
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:23:16 GMT
There's something that nags at me about logos and similar materials being part of the source-code
release (that, I am told, is *the* release in terms of Apache principles).

It is natural to have such artifacts in the SVN tree because it is convenient and it probably
feels essential to have the released source-code be the precise source for the project-created
binary distributions.

On the other hand, while it is desirable for folks to be able to reproduce our build, and
have access to the source that was used, that they would end up having something that can
be claimed to be the authentic project-created binary distribution.  Yet it will appear indistinguishable
from it.

There is this odd hitch when binaries are built by someone else, even without modification,
but without preservation of provenance and authenticity.  Yet they are not distinguished from
"the real thing."

There is also the problem that, when someone modifies the source and the build, that the default
is for the resulting binary to be indistinguishable, in terms of surface features and the
presence of identifying information, from the project-created binary distribution.

I'm also not clear that logos and related artifacts qualify as open-source concerning the
trademark issues.

I don't know how to crack that strange entanglement.

I can see it working if it were considered that even our binary releases are downstream from
the Apache release and have some essential customizations including being digitally signed
and authenticated in other ways.  Then placeholders could appear in the released source for
binary-distribution items (some other content being provided instead) that are to be provided/customized
by any downstream producer, even ourselves.

And then I can't figure out how the binary can be tied to the exact source it was produced
from.

Arghh.

I keep thinking this must have been dealt with in the production of other user-facing binary
distributions from open-source code releases.  Anyone have any pointers?

 - Dennis