incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Draft chapters of "Getting Started with AOO" need reviewers
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:17:12 GMT
It is, and continues to be a feature of OpenOffice.org that it offers, on install, to automatically
open selected Microsoft Office formats in OpenOffice. (I assume this is .doc, .xls, and .ppt)

Has promotion of this as a software product that is compatible with Microsoft Office documents
and a free, open-source replacement been abandoned?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Weber [mailto:jeanweber@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 02:32
To: OOo-dev Apache Incubator
Subject: Re: Draft chapters of "Getting Started with AOO" need reviewers

RGB ES wrote,

> On chapter 3, page 9 and on chapter 11 page 19 you explain how to
> teach the program to always save as msoffice format. I think a huge
> warning must be there saying that this is NOT recommended: using an
> external format to save files is a risky move that may cause problems
> with formatting... if you are lucky.

I think a warning about docs with important formatting is needed, but
most people's docs have little formatting and saving in MSO format
works fine for their purposes. Although we want to promote the OD
formats, IMO we don't want to scare off too many people who really
won't have a problem.

> On chapter 8 (Math), a mention to the new "align to baseline" feature
> introduced on AOO 3.4 is needed, IMO.

Yes, thank you! I knew there was something new to include, but had
forgotten to do so.

> But in general, on my quick scan everything seems really good ;)

Thanks. :-)

--Jean