incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Legal question about (re)licensing
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:41:19 GMT
@Rob,

I am not certain what this has to do with the original question.

In any case, I agree that copyleft projects tend to be rather casual.  (The complaining about
the AOO use of ALv2 for the work it makes for LO downstream is informative, although LO has
dependencies on a number of ALv2 components.)  I am also uncertain whether GPL requirements
on derivatives, especially their binaries, are followed in an impeccable way among the many
copyleft projects.

The closest to a CLA for TDF LibreOffice is an e-mail paragraph such as this one:

    " All of my past & future contributions to LibreOffice
      may be licensed under the MPL/LGPLv3+ dual license."

I have no idea how the TDF deals with provenance.  None of us do anything to confirm that
a contribution is original (in the copyright sense) and the contributor has the right.  Acceptance
is in good faith.  Still, TDF had the good fortune of starting with a distribution that was
already LGPLd and the third-party dependencies were already accounted for by Sun and Oracle.

Since I stay clear of [L]GPLd code myself, I have nothing more to say about that.  (I do remain
concerned about the haphazard license materials in the Writing Aids that are bundled with
AOO binaries.  Fortunately, it appears that AOO is not directly accountable for the provenance
of those materials.)