incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [www][DISCUSS]"Planet" AOO?
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:50:12 GMT
There is a Planet Apache: <>.

The tricky part is selective aggregation.  A contributor/committer either needs a dedicated
separate blog to use with the Planet or else there needs to be a way to provide a selective
RSS feed for a category of posts that are on-topic for the Planet.

Of course, contributors that only talk about Apache OpenOffice, or related,
ODF, and Apache matters can participate in the Planet without difficulty.

I think it is a good idea.  It has been raised a few times.  The Apache OpenOffice blog itself
is a bit formal, involves review and staging of posts, etc., although it is relatively easy
to create posts there.  Comments on that blog are moderated and there is no notice to moderators
that there are comments awaiting approval.  So what is missing on that blog at the moment
is a routine by which those with editor karma routinely check there.  (Your post here reminds
me to do that right now.  I must also create a recurring task on my calendar to remind me
from now on.  Done.)

 - Dennis

PS: All committers can also have a personal web site on their FreeBSD account at

PPS: Oh, and all of the public lists (e.g., ooo-dev) have RSS feeds.  Somehow that didn't
register with me all of this time.  Interesting.

-----Original Message-----
From: RGB ES []
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 07:20
Subject: [www][DISCUSS]"Planet" AOO?

Something to think about without hurry, maybe after 3.4 release: to
create a "planet" to aggregate blogs and other content generated by
commiters and other volunteers.

AOO blog is perfect for news about the project, but IMHO a planet like
sub-site to see on one place what contributors do will give a more
dynamic image to the project.

I must admit I have no idea how such sites are created but almost all
FOSS projects have one.

Also, we need to considering our multilingual user base providing a
way to follow specific languages.

View raw message