incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: this is in production now...Re: [WWW] new logo in staging only...I think we need a graphic modification
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 04:18:11 GMT
@Kay,

The main problem is that JPEG is a lossy format and it is designed for photographic images,
not line drawings. So font and sharp-edge fuzziness is always a problem.  Furthermore, modification
of JPEGs (change of scale, resolution, orientation, etc.,) just accumulates more degradation.

PNGs are better, at the resolution of the PNG, but also suffer under modification because
of rasterization (they are still bitmaps).

Someplace, it is necessary to find a quality vector-graphic version so that lossless PNGs
can be produced at whatever resolutions are required; the graphic should be used in anything
to be viewed at various resolutions, projected, and also printed, as for publishable documentation,
PDFs, etc.  There can also be adjusting for features that do not scale proportionally (especially
fonts) and that have difficulty when their clean resolution is finer than the target pixel
spacing permits.  That's usually why even families of vector-graphic forms are desired for
different target size ranges.

Aside from all of that, I think the Orb1 as now presented is the ideal form, although there
could be some tweaking as just noticed on the wiki page by Kevin.  I don't agree with the
capitalization as "APACHE" though.  The balance on the current form, with "Apache" seems fine,
especially at web-page resolutions and scale.

 - Dennis

"Anyone who thinks protocol is unnecessary has never tried to make friends with a cat."
  - attributed to Lazarus Long