incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Logo of AOO in SVG?
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:54:20 GMT
It's tricky to find these because they are not shown or linked on the page itself, even though
they have been uploaded as attachments.

I notice that the vector-graphic versions don't render so well when displayed with IE9.  In
the transition vectorized logos [1],  - the diffused shadow and transition background render
as solid with no diffusion or transparency.  For Ian's version, the shadow under the ball
is not diffuse but the lighting on the ball is closer to the expected form (in IE9).

In all views of Ian's versions, the shadow under the ball is as if the ball is suspended above
the surface rather than resting on it.  Also, the shadow has a hard outline and is a single
tone in some viewers, but is diffused in Google Chrome.  The reflection at the top of the
orb is unreal, as if the surface is different, rather than there simply being a diffuse light
source above or behind the orb.  In this case, IE9 renders it better.  Chrome renders it as
if it was a hatch cover on the orb! (an edge shows around the lighter area on the top part
of the orb.

Compare with rasterized versions of the orb, such as the Approved Logo large version at section
5 on the page itself, <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals>.
 I think the lighting on that orb is unnatural too, though not so distracting.  It is also
the lighting of the orb that goes back to OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, unnatural or not.

It may be that those effects are available in vector graphics only by using 3D modeling of
the orb and its lighting.  Likewise for the defocusing that works in the transitional rasterized
logo, [1].  It is going to be a challenge to find an SVG that renders consistently.  It may
be necessary to pick a tool where it works as needed and scaled raster versions are made where
the export preserves the appearance.  (Even a screen capture from a rendering of the vector
graphic could be used, if the vector-graphic rendering is successful.)

That's all I can tell by a comparative inspection of the rendered images.

 - Dennis