incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 00:42:20 GMT
@Kay,

I have no idea.

I trust that someone else can indicate how this works.

Having successfully built from source seems to be a key requirement, and one would hope that
at least three people confirm that.  Of course, there is support for some many platforms and
user configurations that I don't know what can be said for coverage at this level.

On the general incubator list, there has been discussions around the fact that the essential
release is the source code and that it be buildable as well as satisfying other conditions
regarding dependencies, IP, signatures, documentation, notices, etc.  Many view the binaries
as conveniences.

For us, the binaries have been essential components and are a goal of this consumer-facing
project.  But that is a quality issue, not so much a release issue, perhaps.  On the other
hand, the binaries are artifacts of the release, and so conditions on those artifacts apply
as well, it seems to me.

Here's the key FAQ on releases that I am aware of:
  <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>.

This is one of the key items:
  <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release>.

That is about top-level-project PMC releases (the IPMC is the top-level for us).  Elsewhere,
it is pointed out that the conditions for incubator releases are in addition to those:
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.htm>.

There is a great deal of material in that incubator release management guide, although it
is all in draft.  Although there are many placeholders, I think it provides a good picture
of the essentials.

 - Dennis