incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: logo source files
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:04:58 GMT
Good points.

I am more concerned with careless and/or petty misrepresentation.  I would like to make it
easier for someone who works with the code to recognize what is needed to differentiate what
they are producing.  It is a variant of the condition which has category-B software be handled
the way it is at Apache.  In this particular case it seems valuable to me that the source
release is something that helps downstream producers of binaries, including ourselves, get
it right.  A casual use of the build process should perhaps produce something that does not
appear the same as a released AOO binary.

With regard to intentional passing-off, I agree that more serious precautions are required
to establish the provenance of binaries distributed by AOO and in having folks be able to
tell the difference and, of course, find the goods in reliable ways.  And other downstream
producers of distributions should be able to accomplish the same thing by establishing the
provenance of their binary distributions.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 13:12
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: logo source files

Just a quick tag to the above.  We need to be careful whether we trying to
solve a communications problem or a legal problem.

If we're talking about inadvertent trademark misuse, then we have two
lightweight solutions:

1) Make it harder for someone to accidentally misuse the trademark via
education, but also by not encouraging using of our core marks, but instead
encouraging use of separate "community marks" that are not also used to
identify our products.  So segregation of two kinds of logos.

2) Handle with education and friendly contacts those who do inadvertently
infringe.

If we're talking about intentional misuse of the marks, then that is an
entirely different issue.  Playing around with where we put the logos,
whether in the trunk or in another directory, or any other "soft"
technological teams will have almost zero impact. If someone wants to
misuse the trademark then they will easily overcome these inconveniences.

The keys to dealing with intentional misuse are:

1) A documented trademark policy that makes it clear which uses are
permitted and which are not.

2) Strong methods, cryptographic methods, to ensure that our official
releases can be identified.

3) User education, so they know to look for such official releases.

Does this make sense?

-Rob