incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DL LOGIC] How to choose a mirror when more than 1 is available?
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:41:11 GMT
I looked at your JavaScript and it appears to me that what you propose is as follows:

 1. There is a fixed %-allocation among a number of available mirror systems (2 and 3 being
illustrated with different procedures) plus a designated backup (which may be in the list).

 2. The requests are distributed randomly based on the allocation percentages to the systems
whether or not they are available.

 3. For any mirror system that receives a turn when it is not available, the backup system
is used.

In this approach, the portion of the requests that any available mirror system but the backup
receives does not change.  If the randomly-chosen mirror is unavailable and the backup is
also unavailable, the request will not be satisfied whether or not there are other mirror
systems that are still available.  (Anyone who suspects this will get in by repeating requests
until a winner is found, which will overcome the allocation of load anyhow and/or annoy users.
It will be important how the failure to find a mirror system is described.  And it will still
be difficult to trouble-shoot reports of failures on the lists and forums.)

My only other observations are

 a. It should be easier to identify the systems and their allocations and to update that information
in the script.
 b. If availability is to be determined dynamically, it is probably better to check availability
only after determining that the system has been selected by the random procedure.  Also, if
availability is configured manually, there is probably some shared dataset that should hold
the availability information (and the allocations?) so the script does not have to be touched
and outages/re-allocations can be done quickly and reliably.

 - Dennis