incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Draft chapters of "Getting Started with AOO" need reviewers
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:54:58 GMT
My question is in the context of the recommendation that some users, including RGB.ES (quoted
below), make concerning how unadvisable it is to make MS Office format the default for saving
OpenOffice.org documents.  In the face of that recommendation, is there not a conflict with
the way that OpenOffice.org us promoted as a free, open-source alternative for working with
Microsoft formats?

I see these recommendations against exporting to Microsoft Office formats rather regularly
on other user lists.  Some seem to be political considerations: treating OO.o as compatible
with Microsoft Office formats diminishes ODF and only the native ODF format usage should be
promoted.

Other cases appear to be pragmatic ones about the quality of interchange between Microsoft
Office and OpenOffice-lineage software, whether via ODF or via Microsoft Office formats (including
OOXML). Although attention is usually deflected from whether or not the OpenOffice converters
are contributors to the problem, there remain problems from users about interoperability problems
they experience.

It strikes me that there needs to be some qualification, reflected in the user documentation,
that there is no blanket promise of preserved fidelity when interchanging between OpenOffice
vis Microsoft Office formats and caution should be exercises in making Microsoft formats the
default for saving documents.  (I suspect it is in Microsoft's hands to describe what folks
can expect of its support for ODF, on the other hand.)

 - Dennis