incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [www][DISCUSS]"Planet" AOO?
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:39:35 GMT
Thanks Shane,

The desire to have a selective-category feed is my own.  I don't want to clutter Planet Apache
with a full syndication of my multiple blogs.  There are discussions I just don't want there.
 I'll consider broadening to some degree but I'd prefer to allow readers to be selective concerning
my blogs.

I just noticed the FAQ mention of feeds by category in Movable Type.  My engine is definitely
more-recent than 2003 [;<), though my first blog post was in 2002.  I won't try that until
I break the code on that crisp post.  I think it may actually be configurable in the release
of Movable Type that I use, if I simply figure it out.

It would be interesting to add another Planet to Planet Apache, though an aggregation setup
that did not limit inclusion to Apache Committers might be preferable.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Curcuru [mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org]
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 14:04
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [www][DISCUSS]"Planet" AOO?

All Apache committers are allowed to add their own personal blogs -
whether they're related to their Apache project work or not - as feeds
to Planet Apache.

   Read: http://planet.apache.org/committers/
   Config: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/committers.ini

Do folks here know who runs the existing http://planetopenoffice.org/
aggregation site?  It already has quite a number of feeds in it.  Domain
is owned by Kahlil Johson, or jzarecta@g... from Mexico.

If the AOO PPMC and larger community want to organize a single site to
aggregate committers and community members' blogs, that would be great.
  Personally I like the community aspect of Planet Apache, in that some
committers only blog about technology, but many of them blog about
personal and other issues too.

Hey, the https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/FAQ file has a note:
Q. How can I make category RSS feeds in MovableType?
A. See: http://www.hutteman.com/weblog/2003/03/07-49.html
    but you'll need a sufficently new version of MovableType.

If the PPMC gets organized about this, I don't see why we couldn't host
it at planet.oo.o directly.  That would likely mean only committers'
blogs content would be added, since it's on an official Apache domain.
Similarly, folks interested in setting up aggregators should take a look
at Venus, which is a great aggregator:

   http://intertwingly.net/code/venus/

- Shane