incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Expanding Review and Contributions as AOO 3.4 Approaches
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:05:48 GMT
Short answer: At Apache, release candidates are not releases and don't appear anywhere that
releases do.  With respect to the outside world, they are unofficial, intermediate work.

 - Dennis

This is my understanding:

The RC artifacts are made available the same way as developer snapshots and previews. (If
you look at the links, you'll see that the RC1 artifacts are on the release manager's Apache
account.)

The difference is that a release candidate is packaged in the form of artifacts on which release
votes happen.  When a release vote is held and passes, those are the artifacts that will then
be put up as a release, populated on mirrors, etc.

Since these candidates are not releases, it is inappropriate to notify the user base, make
an ASF announcement, etc.  They should not be provided at the download page either.

In some sense, there is a feature and code freeze in effect for the release, except for any
necessary repairs that require a new candidate to be produced.  The need for repair can come
about as part of the in-Apache review of the candidate and independently as the result of
a release-blocking defect reported by anyone.

Because of that level of stability, this is a time when investment of any volunteer testing,
trial use, etc., is valuable in both how the candidate deploys and how it is usable.  It's
not a moving target and additional explorations are well-spent, especially for any show-stopper
that is uncovered.

 - Dennis