incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementation of genitive case of month names (posessive context)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:20:47 GMT

On 2012-03-13 2:55 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Larry Gusaas<larry.gusaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2012-03-13 2:28 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>>>
>>> Is your legal name really Larry, or something like Lawrence?  Does
>>> your middle initial stand for something, or is it really just "I"?
>> Are you going to answer the question? Or just make totally irrelevant
>> remarks about my name?
>>
> I thought the point was obvious.  Sorry if it was not clear.  We have
> proper names and we have short names.  When I make an off-hand mention
> of "OpenOffice" or even "AOO" that does not imply that I'm making a
> formal notice of a product renaming. Just as you being called "Larry"
> does not amount to a legal name change.
The point was obvious, but it did not answer the question. You still haven't answered the
question.
BTW, Larry is not short for Lawrence. The I obviously does stand for something since it has
period after it.

> There is a place for using formal names. When I sign a legal document
> I am "Robert Cameron Weir".  But here I am just Rob Weir.  When we
> mention the product in a formal setting, we will call it "Apache
> OpenOffice" at the first mention of it on a page or an article or a
> press release.  But subsequent references in the same document may
> just be called "OpenOffice".  Formal names and short names. I'm sure
> we're all familiar with the concept.

None of which answer my question. "Shouldn't the release be "Apache OpenOffice 3.4"?

The wiki page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ states:
"Future releases from the OpenOffice.org domain will be called "Apache OpenOffice"." and"
"Once Apache OpenOffice v3.4 is released, the project recommends you replace your
OpenOffice.org installation with it."

However the developer snapshots still install as  "OpenOffice.org".

So which name will the release version use? Is that clearer so you can understand the question?

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com