incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 01:58:03 GMT

On 2012-03-05 7:17 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Larry Gusaas<larry.gusaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2012-03-05 4:38 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>> This has been known for several months and has been part of the 3.4 plan.
>>> We discussed it extensively in early December. Certainly if you have new
>>> information, new workarounds, new proposals, or even new code, then I'm new
>>> we all would love to know about it. But if you are just noticing this for
>>> the first time, you might want to check the list archives to catch up on the
>>> previous discussion first. Search for "berkeleydb".
>> The problem with the database was known. The fact that you were planning to
>> release a version that overwrote OOo and erased the extensions in the user
>> profile was not clear until you asked for testing. And now you are
>> complaining about us reporting the problems found.
>>
> Maybe not clear to you, but the information was provided in early
> December when the code change was made.  This was not hidden.  The
> implications of this were plainly stated, for example on the wiki page
> that explained the user-facing ramifications of removing the Berkeley
> DB:
>
> "The impact is that extensions installed for older versions of
> OpenOffice have to be re-installed."
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/IP_Clearance+Impact

Once again you are missing the point.  The issue is overwriting 3.4 on the previous OOo
installation and using the old user profile, which causes the deletion of all extensions from

the user profile.

If the user then decides to return to a earlier version, the user profiled is fucked and they

have to reinstall all extensions. That would not make for a happy user.

It would be better to release as AOO 3.4 and create a totally new profile rather than overwrite

the program and mess up the old user profile.

As for precedent, when Sun released OOo 3.0 it created a new profile and did not use the
profile from OOo 2.xx, at least on Mac installs.

As for you references to Microsoft updates, that is a bunch of crap. Do you really want to
use
Microsoft as an example? Or is that typical of IBM as well?

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com