incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 22:15:12 GMT
On 2012-03-05 3:30 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
> I'll put it to you quickly simple.  If you have been paying attention
> you will realize that we're discussing release blocking issues.

I have been paying attention. Have you?
In the thread "Calling all volunteers: It is time to test" you wrote

    "We could use help verifying the install in all real-world scenarios, on clean OS installs,
    as upgrades to previous versions of OOo."  and
    "Please send a short note to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org telling us what platform
and
    scenario you installed (fresh install, upgrade, install next to LibreOffice, etc.)."

I did an install over OOo on my Mac and reported that it deleted the extensions in my user
profile.

Dennis started this thread "[EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time

to test)" to discuss if  releases of AOO should overwrite the OOo version, thus deleting all

installed extensions.

Does this not require discussion?

> Those
> are the only changes we're making right now.  Release blocking issues
> are issues in BZ that have the 3.4 release blocking issue flag set.
> You are welcome to add such an issue if you think one is lacking.  You
> can suggest things until you turn blue in the face and it will not
> accomplish as much as the simple act of entering an issue once in BZ.

Is this not an issue for discussion? Having AOO overwrite, or not overwrite, OOo is a policy

decision that needs discussion. Or, as the grand poobah, are you saying it doesn't? Where
has
this decision been made?

> But I remind you that the fact that extensions will need to be
> reinstalled in 3.4 is something that has been well-known in this
> project for nearly 6 months now.  But no one has cared to do anything
> about it.  And no one has raised it as release blocking issue, not
> even as of today.

And now the decision has to be made about how to deal with the problem. Overwriting OOo and

eliminating the extensions will create a huge howl from tons of users and create unnecessary

extra work for the people providing user support.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com