incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:26:24 GMT

On 2012-03-05 1:52 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Larry Gusaas<larry.gusaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2012-03-05 12:08 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>>>
>>> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
>>> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
>>> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
>>> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
>>> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
>>> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.
>> Users need to be informed that they will need to reinstall extensions if AOO
>> 3.4 overwrites OOo3.x.x
>>
> Yes.  But note that this will also be true if we installed AOO into a
> different directory.  They would need to reinstall all the extensions
> again also.

That is pretty obvious. What is your point?

>> One option would be to not use the same user profile as OOo 3.x.x and create
>> a new profile for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and
>> import the data that can be used from the OOo user profile into a new
>> profile.
>>
> That won't help in this case.  Regardless of where the profile is
> stored, we're unable to read the local DB that stored information
> about what extensions were installed.  So whether we use the same
> profile or not, the user still must reinstall extensions if they want
> them to work in AOO 3.4.

Yes it would. Importing the data that can be used in AOO 3.4 would leave the OOo user profile

intact. If the user then continues to use OOo their user profile would be intact. The user

would only have to install the extensions instead of redoing all user preferences,
dictionaries, templates, etc.

>>> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
>>> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
>>> intructions how this can be overridden.
>> The warning would have to be on the download page before the download link.
>> How many current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before
>> installing a new version?
>>
> If the user's goal is to continue running OOo 3.3.0, then what can we
> say?  Don't install AOO 3.4 or 4.0, or 5.0, etc.    But if they do
> want to run AOO 3.4 then they will need to reinstall the extensions.
> I haven't heard anyone suggest an alternative approach to solving that
> problem.

I have suggested an alternative that leaves the OOo profile intact.

> Of course, "patches are welcome".

I am not a programmer. Such suggestions to users are insulting. Do you want our feedback?

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com