incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:30:46 GMT
On 2012-03-05 12:08 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>> If there is no solution for extensions, Apache OpenOffice 3.4 early incubator releases
should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in its own locations
and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation would
be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature, that
becomes imperative.)

> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.

Users need to be informed that they will need to reinstall extensions if AOO 3.4 overwrites

OOo3.x.x

One option would be to not use the same user profile as OOo 3.x.x and create a new profile
for
AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the data that can be used from

the OOo user profile into a new profile.

> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
> intructions how this can be overridden.

The warning would have to be on the download page before the download link. How many current

users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing a new version?

>> I think there should be OOo-dev releases only until this is handled as well.  It
is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of it.
Agree

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada