incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [TEST] procedures for no overwrites of existing OOo 3.3?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:49:38 GMT
On 03/03/2012 10:57 AM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2012-03-03 12:13 PM  Kay Schenk wrote:
>> Hello all--
>>
>> I run Linux and know how to avoid overwrites with our current test
>> packaging by using the "--prefix" option when I do an RPM install.
>> And this is what I used for the test I recently did.
>>
>> Are there similar options available for Mac and Win users? It seems
>> some of our testers are not happy with the overwrite of their
>> existing version.
>>
>> If someone would forward instructions to me, I will add a new wiki
>> page on "Testing Procedures".
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> For Macs.
>
> If you download OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_MacOS_x86_install_en-US.dmg there is
> no problem. It installs as a separate program with a separate user
> profile.
>
> OOo_3.4.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-US.dmg will overwrite the current OOo
> installation.
>
> To install without overwriting create a subfolder in the Applications
> folder and install the new OpenOffice.org.app in that folder.
>
> For the new version to use its own user profile (best to do so) you
> need to hack the bootstraprc file. To find it right click on
> OpenOffice.org.app in the application folder, then click on "Show
> Package Contens". The path is
> "/Applications/OpenOffice.org/Contents/MacOS/bootstraprc"
>
> Rename "UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3" to
> something like "UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3.4"
>
> This procedure enables the use of multiple versions of OOo, each with
> their own user profile.

I use that method regularly on linux:

$ locate bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/bootstraprc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/bootstraprc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/bootstraprc

I also highly recommend that testers become familiar with installing
parallel versions so that they do not interfere with existing installs.
For linux & Windows see:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel>
[Note: Perhaps a Mac user could add instructions to that page for Macs?]

Gary Lee