incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [TEST] procedures for no overwrites of existing OOo 3.3?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 18:57:00 GMT
On 2012-03-03 12:13 PM  Kay Schenk wrote:
> Hello all--
>
> I run Linux and know how to avoid overwrites with our current test
> packaging by using the "--prefix" option when I do an RPM install. And this
> is what I used for the test I recently did.
>
> Are there similar options available for Mac and Win users? It seems some of
> our testers are not happy with the overwrite of their existing version.
>
> If someone would forward instructions to me, I will add a new wiki page on
> "Testing Procedures".
>
> Thanks.

For Macs.

If you download OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_MacOS_x86_install_en-US.dmg there is no problem. It installs

as a separate program with a separate user profile.

OOo_3.4.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-US.dmg will overwrite the current OOo installation.

To install without overwriting create a subfolder in the Applications folder and install the

new OpenOffice.org.app in that folder.

For the new version to use its own user profile (best to do so) you need to hack the
bootstraprc file. To find it right click on OpenOffice.org.app in the application folder,
then
click on "Show Package Contens". The path is
"/Applications/OpenOffice.org/Contents/MacOS/bootstraprc"

Rename "UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3" to something like
"UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3.4"

This procedure enables the use of multiple versions of OOo, each with their own user profile.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com