incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 02:00:27 GMT
On 02/29/2012 06:18 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> As we approach the first Release Candidate for Apache OpenOffice 3.4,
> it would be wonderful if we could have some more volunteers testing
> the latest dev snapshots builds. Following is some information on what
> this requires, and how you can help.
>
> First, if you have never tested a pre-release product before, know
> that bugs are expected. That is the purpose of testing, to find bugs
> so they can be fixed. Bugs could range from UI glitches, to incorrect
> formatting to crashes or even data corruption.  So you probably don't
> want to use a test build for mission-critical tasks. Of course, I
> assume you have already backed up your important documents.  You do
> have backups, right?  Ideally you can do your testing on a separate
> machine from your main work machine, so if something goes wrong you
> will not interfere with your other work.
>
> The above are all sensible precautions when testing any pre-release
> software product.
>
> If you are ready to test, you can download the latest developer
> snapshot build from this page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
Repeat of the question that I asked on the users list:

Which version are you looking for feedback/testing on?

http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packages/r1293550/linux_x86/OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
or
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packages/r1293550/linux_x86/OOo_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

I see the "The r***** links provides full normal install sets instead of
development builds to test upgrades and system integration." However I
suspect that some will download one, and some will download the other.
So I think it helpful if you clarify as to which one you want
feedback/testing on - particularly since they are ~138MB each.

Just to add to that:

$ md5sum OOo_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
421f9ea3b95217a15bae9bbb7ccaa4a7
OOo_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
Size: 144872066
Help|About OpenOffice.org - identifies as:
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0
OOO340m1 (Build:9586)
2012-02-27 07:43:04 (Mon, 27 Feb 2012) - Rev. 1293550
Installs in: /opt/openoffice.org3/

This of course creates the issue of the RC installing over any
pre-exisiting 3.2.x version already installed in /opt/openoffice.org3/
and /opt/openoffice.org/. Testers should be warned of this as the "test"
version is likely to overwrite any stable installation they may already
have.

$ md5sum OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
d194d29cc03f238a6572601f757c6407
OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
Size: 144375254
Help|About OOo-dev - identifies as:
OpenOffice.org 3.4.0
OOO340m1 (Build:9586)
2012-02-27 07:43:04 (Mon, 27 Feb 2012) - Rev. 1293550
Installs in: /opt/ooo-dev3/

This of course creates the issue of the RC installing over any
pre-exisiting 3.2.x dev version already installed in /opt/ooo-dev3/ and
/opt/ooo-dev/. Testers should be warned of this as the "test" version is
likely to overwrite any stable installation they may already have.

So they are different files (size & md5sum), but they both identify as
the exact same build on the Help|About screen. Which means that
'testers' will be reporting that they have the same versions installed
regardless of which one they actually downloaded and installed. The only
difference in the versionrc files are the UpdateID's (respectively):
UpdateID=OpenOffice.org_3_en-US
UpdateID=OOo-dev_3_en-US

Anyway; installed all 4 (32bit + 64bit) debian versions on Ubuntu 11.04
& 10.10. Modified the bootstraprc's on the non-dev versions to create
different profiles than any existing ~/.openoffice.org profiles
(UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org/3 changed to
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org3.4/3).
  Note: the bootstraprc should probably be changed to something similar
(perhaps UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.apacheopenoffice3.4) so that
any AOO installs do not interfere with any already installed OOo
versions. Not doing so will cause the "RC" test version (in this case
the '3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz' version) to install it's
profile in/over any exisiting ~/.openoffice.org/3 profile on the system
& tend to piss off users that may have highly customised
~/.openoffice.org profiles.