incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:37:51 GMT
On 06/03/2012, at 4:30, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-03-05 12:08 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>>> If there is no solution for extensions, Apache OpenOffice 3.4 early incubator
releases should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in
its own locations and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation
would be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature,
that becomes imperative.)

>> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
>> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
>> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
>> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
>> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
>> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.
>
> Users need to be informed that they will need to reinstall extensions if AOO 3.4 overwrites
OOo3.x.x

> One option would be to not use the same user profile as OOo 3.x.x and create a new profile
for AOO 3.4. Or do as LibreOffice did when it came out and import the data that can be used
from the OOo user profile into a new profile.

>> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
>> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
>> intructions how this can be overridden.
>
> The warning would have to be on the download page before the download link. How many
current users of OOo actually read the install instructions before installing a new version?

>>> I think there should be OOo-dev releases only until this is handled as well.
 It is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of it.
> Agree

Rob,

When an installation wipes out some or all of the user's extensions or other customisations
of a previous version, that is a sure way to alienate a LOT of people and create a lot of
very bad publicity, in addition to the inconvenience to users. I agree with Dennis and Larry
that this is unacceptable. Indeed, I am very dismayed that anyone would seriously consider
doing that. And documenting the issue, while necessary, is far from sufficient. Most people
don't read the instructions, as you should know.

Jean