incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Pöml <pe...@poeml.de>
Subject Re: [INFRA] download statistics fixed / little problem left
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 23:03:54 GMT
Hi,

Am 06.03.2012 um 01:51 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Peter Pöml wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> with some maintenance updates I did on download.services.openoffice.org, I recently
broke the download statistics (http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/marketing_bouncer.html).
I fixed them a few days ago. The web page doesn't update anymore, though, since the 20th of
February. That was the day when I broke the generation of the underlying download counting.

> The 20th of February, 2011 was about when the change was made to Kenai.

Ah, interesting coincidence! So maybe the statistics are not processed since then, anyway.

>> I suppose that we don't mind to continue couting :-) and the underlying data generation
is fixed now. But who is in the position to get the page to be updated again?

> Where and how do you generate the statistics.

Right on the download server (download.services.openoffice.org). Once a day, a script analyzes
the logs and prunes it from requests that occur repeatedly (download accelerators). It is
maintained at http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/svn/mod_stats/trunk/tools/. The numbers can be requested
in this form:
http://download.services.openoffice.org/stats/csv/20120229.csv
or http://download.services.openoffice.org/stats/csv/201202.csv monthly. The best time to
pull the data is at 1 a.m. GMT+1.

>> I know there's a daily cronjob which pulls the download counts in CSV format from
download.services.openoffice.org, but I am not sure who installed that and/or who has access
to the web server where the stats are hosted.

> I bet this is long gone. However there are other tools available. I think that the preferred
way would be to have a buildbot in the CMS to pull the data and publish the page.

There was a lot of interest in download numbers in the past. I don't know if this is still
the case. But if so, I'm happy to help.

Peter