incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: status update where we are and plan to move forward
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:09:01 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to inform you where we are from my perspective and how I
> think we can/should move forward.
>
> 2 show stopper issues are open now which should be fixed later this week.
> We make good progress to clean up the RAT output (http://ci.apache.org/**
> projects/openoffice/rat-**output.html<http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/rat-output.html>),
> we are supporting Andrew where we can. Work on our NOTICE and LICENSE file
> is also ongoing and we make good progress to integrate early feedback
> before our first RC.
>
> Translation
> I am still not happy with the current situation around translations. I
> know that it is not the problem of our translation volunteers (I am happy
> to see the progress and interest) and that you all do your best. I think it
> was a mistake to underestimate the Pootle issue and the relating work...
> But we can't change it at the moment.
>
> A RC with en-US only is not really what our community is expecting. I
> would like to propose the following.
>
> UI
> We will include all languages where we have a 100% complete translation
> for the UI (excepting the translation for the test automation tool like for
> "ru")
>
> All other languages will we release a little bit later when more
> translations are ready
>
> HELP
> For help I would not really rely on a 100% translation and would accept
> >95%.
>
> And here the same we will release further languages based on availability.
>
> That means we will start with a subset of languages first and will release
> more languages with a 3.4.1 that we can address quite fast.
>
> I still believe that a fast release is important for the public reputation
> of our project and I don't see a problem with releasing more languages
> later.
>
> I would like to start building a RC candidate next week with the languages
> that we have in place on Monday next week (April 2th).
>
>
+1

IMHO, whatever date we pick, there will always be a translation that is
"almost ready".  This will be true next week.  It will be true next month.
But if everything else is ready for a release, then I think we should have
a release.  Otherwise we hold up the work that is ready.

But at the same time, I think we need a way to have new languages released
when they are ready.  We cannot wait 6 months or something like that.  We
should think about some model where a new translation can be tested and
approved for release quickly, say within 2 weeks of the translation being
completed.  It is less painful to miss the train if you know that another
train will be leaving soon.

-Rob



> Any opinions?
>
> Juergen
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message