incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:41:25 GMT
There have been some side discussions on this topic.  I'd like to
collect these ideas into one thread.

My observations:

1) The OpenOffice code base has a reputation of being complex, hard to
understand, even "haunted".  It is difficult for new developers to get
involved with it.

2) We get regular offers of help from new volunteers for other project
functions, such documentation, QA, website,etc., but we are not doing
a great job getting them to be successful contributors in the project.

3) Nothing is free.  Making the code easier to understand, or
mentoring new contributors to the project, these things time and
effort.

So there is a natural trade-off between short term progress on
features and long term growing of the contributor base.  With AOO 3.4
we have biases the effort toward forward progress on the release. Post
AOO 3.4 we might want to adjust to a more balanced approach.

Any ideas and the best ways how we can improve in this area after AOO
3.4 releases?

-Rob