incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: openoffice.fm
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:11:51 GMT
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a site offering, supposedly, a version of OpenOffice called
> OpenOffice.fm:
>
> http://download.openoffice.fm/free/
>
> No mention of Oracle or Apache in the licensing, though it does have a
> news blurb about OpenOffice joining Apache.
>
> FAQ and forum links point to openoffice.org. Links to the source for
> versions 3.3 and 3.2.1 point to openmirror.org; www.openmirror.org
> gives a webserver default page.
>
> Some of the fine print says the installer will present opt-ins for
> other software.  I guess that's their business model.

Looks like they are bundling in known adware apps like PartyPoker,
PriceGong, uPlayer, etc.

> Haven't tried to download the source or binary.

Their link that says "Install the OpenOffice suite and get the #1
alternative to MS Office" downloads a 33 MB openoffice-suite.exe. This
is not a real distribution of OpenOffice.org.  It sounds like it is a
"download admin" that will offer the other apps and then download OOo.

So a few issues here:

1) Their website and the file name suggest that the user is
downloading "OpenOffice"

2) Domain name "openoffice.fm"

Both are likely confusing to the consumer and falsely imply the
identity and source of their goods.

BTW, I created a place in Bugzilla to track things like this:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=trademark

Once we get 3.4 out maybe we can do an official registration of
"Apache OpenOffice" as a trademark.  That will give us some more clout
with issues like this.  Until then, I suppose we should take it as a
compliment that they are claiming to be us, and not some other open
source office suite ;-)

-Rob