incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feedback Requested: Proposed SourceForce Mirror of AOO 3.4
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:39:48 GMT
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rgaloppini@geek.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I'm resending our proposal as per previous thread 'Sourceforge and
> AOO 3.4 distribution' asking for a feedback.
>
> As Mark Ramm wrote before we could commit to delivering the full
> download volume, we wanted to produce a vetted plan, including a clear
> timeline and backing technical implementation plans.
>
> What we are proposing is an elaboration of Joe’s ‘hybrid’ approach:
>
>   - Both AOO and SF.net mirror networks would be used to provide
> download capacity for the 3.4 release.
>   - SourceForge.net would be the “recommended default download” on the website.

What would that look like?  On what page do we make this branch?   In
most of our communications we will point the public to this URL:

http://download.openoffice.org

(That then redirects to http://www.openoffice.org/download/)

The download link then provided to the user is matched to their
platform and language, based on their request headers.

Some subset (and we don't know what % since we're not running Google
Analytics here) don't want the default and click through to the full
matrix of downloads available:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

I'm assuming that we want to avoid duplicating effort maintaining the
logic for automatically matching users to the right download, as well
as avoid SF needing to tracking in detail a large matrix of downloads,
availability of new translations, etc.  You just want to mirror our
dist/incubator/ooo directory.

We also want to reduce the number of clicks that stand between the
user and their download.

So where do we make the branch?

If we do it at the top level page (download.openoffice.org) then how
do you match the user to the right download, keep your page's matrix
of releases, platforms and languages in synch?

Ideally (and this is my opinion.  others may have better opinions), we
would check the user's request header, get the language and platform
from that, determine the recommended download, and pass that request
onto either of the mirror networks, along with the IP address for
locating the nearest mirror. The branch between Apache and SF mirrors
could be done randomly, based on a tune-able parameter.  if
rand()<0.25 doApache() else doSF() would send 25% of the download
requests to Apache, and the remaining 75% to SF.

The nice thing about this approach is it allows each mirror network to
do their own geographic optimization, while allowing the OpenOffice
project to control how users are recommended a particular version of
AOO. It allows us to maintain the matrix of downloads in one place.
And it does not introduce any new mouse clicks for the user.

Is it technically feasible?

It would be good to get Joe's or Gavin's opinion on the remainder of
Mark's note.

-Rob

>   - Apache Mirror network would be an alternate download option.
>   - Apache OpenOffice team and Infrastructure team will maintain
> control of the the auto-update URL’s and possibly follow Rob’s
> suggestion to stagger automatic updates.
>

> SourceForge.net will manage the full burst capacity for web-based
> downloads through our global network of OSS mirrors, global CDN
> network(s) and cloud file server providers.   Using these resources,
> we anticipate our capacity is well above the expected delivery
> requirements for the upcoming release.
>
> In addition to basic download capacity, SourceForge will provide
> detailed download statistics, which will support future product,
> infrastructure and marketing plans.  We will commit to make stats
> available on the SourceForge.net website and provide stats delivery
> APIs.  We are able to capture initiated downloads, not just page
> views, and will provide them split by geography and operating system.
> We’re also willing to consider additional stats needs.
>
> Proposed Timeline:
>
>   - Immediately: SourceForge sets up Apache Infra team with
> credentials on an AOO mirror project in sf.net
>   - Firsr week:  SourceForge updates contracts with CDN and other
> providers to handle full AOO peak release traffic
>   - Second Week: AOO Infra team works with sf.net operations team to
> ramp traffic to sf.net in a controlled way in order to gather
> statistical data, verify assumptions, and give the Apache
> infrastrucure team time to verify our capacity.
>   - 1-2 days post test:  SF.net analyzes traffic data, assures that
> our assumptions about geographic mix, and interactive vs automated
> download mix, are valid and we can do this in a fiscally responsible
> way.
>   - 1-2 days post test: AOO infrastructure team analyses traffic data,
> lets sf.net team know any additonal data needs, and validates that the
> system will work for them
>
> Once everything is tested and vetted on both sides, we will need to
> make a CDN bandwidth commit, and would like the AOO team to commit to
> notifying us 30 days prior to shutting down the flow of traffic, so
> that we can update our contracts and avoid penalties.
>
> We believe that the combination of SF.net mirrors, and CDN based burst
> capacity will provide a fast and stable download experience for AOO
> users, and will allow the AOO team to publicize the release in an
> agressive manner.
>
> Roberto
> ====
> This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s)
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your
system. Thank you.