incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making it easy for IPMC members to vote in favor of AOO 3.4
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:37:27 GMT
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Juergen Schmidt <
jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 31. March 2012 at 17:14, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Try to imagine yourself in the IPMC, being asked to vote for the release
> of
> > AOO 3.4. You want to make sure the release follows Apache policies and
> > guidelines. You want to protect the ASF. You want to ensure that users,
> > including developers using our source code packages, get the greatest
> > benefit from the release. But you are faced with a 10 million line code
> > project, larger and more complex than anything you've faced before at
> > Apache.
> >
> > What do you do? Where do you start?
> >
> > Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. It is daunting task. But I think it
> > is in our best interest as a PPMC to make our AOO 3.4 Release Candidate
> > easy to review for the IPMC. This means understanding the common
> questions
> > and concerns they might have and preparing answers to these in advance.
> >
> > I've drafted an outline, and filled in some of the blanks, for a "Summary
> > of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 IP Review" document on the wiki. I think this
> will
> > help raise the IPMC comfort level by documenting in one place the due
> > diligence we performed and the final results. It also highlights the
> > unusual things that came up in this project, such as the "mere
> aggregation"
> > inclusion of dictionaries in the binary packages.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Summary+of+Apache+OpenOffice+3.4+IP+Review+Activities
> >
> > Any help in filling in the blanks would be much appreciated, by me (of
> > course), but hopefully also by the IPMC. If we should cover other topics,
> > add those as well.
> >

> You have probably missed this
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+FAQ
>
> We have started a similar page and I would suggest that we consolidate
> these 2 pages immediately to avoid duplicated work and confusion.

I think they are subtly different. Your page is a summary of the release
package, what is included, what different directories do, etc.  It is good
for someone who has download the package, unzipped it, and is looking at
the files.

The page I started is more about the process we followed, what we did, what
we removed, the decisions we made, and why. So it is more about the logic
of what we did.  Your page is more about the end results.

But it probably makes sense to combine these somehow, I agree.

-Rob