incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rat scan vs SGA
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:34:03 GMT
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
<snip>

>> * binary files such as .jpeg, .png, .odX that should have a header
>> inside, but are more complex in terms of adding a header (more
>> difficult than my current perl script)
>

> Is a license header in image files really necessary?  Can the Rat tool
> handle this?
>
> As to .odX (you mean .odt, .odp, .odc,... right?):  We could put the license
> header into description.xml: Extract the .description.xml from the .odX, add
> the license header like you do for any other xml file, and put it back into
> the .odX.

We ran into this with the ODF Toolkit. RAT does not understand ODF
files. We might change that in the future (using the ODF Toolkit).
So we had to exclude the ODF files from the scan.

We also wrote a Java program (using the ODF Toolkit) that
automatically added license information to the document's metadata.
That worked fine for us, except in a small number of cases where the
documents were being used in unit tests that were testing document
metadata.  (Doh!)

Sot I'd in general be careful that you are not breaking any test
files.  For example, if your ran the ODF Toolkit's license adding
code, you would also silently update all pre-ODF 1.2 files to ODF 1.2,
and that might break or invalidate some of the AOO test cases,

So the minimal fix might be best.

-Rob