incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject I'd love your opinion on a question of FAQ style
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:00:55 GMT
This question came up on the other thread.  I'd be interested in
knowing which style of FAQ you prefer:

Example A:

"Who is building Apache OpenOffice releases?

 * In common with other Apache projects, work on Apache OpenOffice is
performed by individual volunteers.
 * Development is done a number of the original developers of in addition to community volunteers and developers from
other projects derived from the OpenOffice codebase including IBM

or Example B:

"Who is developing Apache OpenOffice?

Like any other Apache project, work on Apache OpenOffice is performed
by a diverse group of volunteers, from over a dozen countries.  We
have participants who are brand new to the project as of last week.
We also have many old hands, who have been involved with OpenOffice
for a decade or more.  These volunteers work on coding, testing,
documentation, websites, translations, marketing as well as other
functions.  Some of our volunteers are listed here:    If you are
interested in helping develop the next great version of Apache
OpenOffice please take a look at our Getting Involved page

Another set:

Example A:

"Where can I get updates to the copy of that I am running?

   *  There have been no updates to binaries released
for users since Oracle stopped development and there will be no
patches to those earlier binary programs released.
    * The project is currently preparing a new version of the code and
it will be available through the website.
    * Once Apache OpenOffice v3.4 is released, the project recommends
you replace your installation with it.
    * Again, there are developer versions available for testing purposes."

Example B:

"Where can I get updates to the copy of that I am running?

 * The latest release of is 3.3.  If you have that then
you have the latest.  If you would like to extend the capabilities of
your OpenOffice 3.3 you might take a look at the many compatible
extensions ( and templates
(  that are available.
*   We are currently preparing a new release, Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
When available, you can download it from the
website.  If you want to be on a notification list for when Apache
OpenOffice 3.4 is available for download, you can send an email to"

These two approaches, A and B, differ in tone, formality and
information level.   Which do you think would be most useful to users
seeking answers to their questions?

View raw message