incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject I'd love your opinion on a question of FAQ style
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:00:55 GMT
This question came up on the other thread.  I'd be interested in
knowing which style of FAQ you prefer:

Example A:

"Who is building Apache OpenOffice releases?

 * In common with other Apache projects, work on Apache OpenOffice is
performed by individual volunteers.
 * Development is done a number of the original developers of
OpenOffice.org in addition to community volunteers and developers from
other projects derived from the OpenOffice codebase including IBM
Symphony."

or Example B:

"Who is developing Apache OpenOffice?

Like any other Apache project, work on Apache OpenOffice is performed
by a diverse group of volunteers, from over a dozen countries.  We
have participants who are brand new to the project as of last week.
We also have many old hands, who have been involved with OpenOffice
for a decade or more.  These volunteers work on coding, testing,
documentation, websites, translations, marketing as well as other
functions.  Some of our volunteers are listed here:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html.    If you are
interested in helping develop the next great version of Apache
OpenOffice please take a look at our Getting Involved page
(http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html)."

Another set:

Example A:

"Where can I get updates to the copy of OpenOffice.org that I am running?

   *  There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released
for users since Oracle stopped development and there will be no
patches to those earlier binary programs released.
    * The project is currently preparing a new version of the code and
it will be available through the openoffice.org website.
    * Once Apache OpenOffice v3.4 is released, the project recommends
you replace your OpenOffice.org installation with it.
    * Again, there are developer versions available for testing purposes."

and

Example B:

"Where can I get updates to the copy of OpenOffice.org that I am running?

 * The latest release of OpenOffice.org is 3.3.  If you have that then
you have the latest.  If you would like to extend the capabilities of
your OpenOffice 3.3 you might take a look at the many compatible
extensions (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/) and templates
(http://templates.services.openoffice.org/)  that are available.
*   We are currently preparing a new release, Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
When available, you can download it from the http://www.openoffice.org
website.  If you want to be on a notification list for when Apache
OpenOffice 3.4 is available for download, you can send an email to
ooo-announce-subscribe@incubator.apache.org."

These two approaches, A and B, differ in tone, formality and
information level.   Which do you think would be most useful to users
seeking answers to their questions?

-Rob