incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO Web Logos?
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:37:14 GMT
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 11:53 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Meta- question: Why is this cross-posted? This is an ooo-dev topic.
>>
>> On Mar 15, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> > What is the latest thinking on the AOO logos?
>> >
>> > There is some great material on the wiki:
>> >
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Branding
>> >
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
>> >
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
>>
>> I like 2.4 Orb Centric Proposal Logo #4
>>

>> > Drew did a lot of initial work here.   But it is not clear to me
>> > whether we have a final recommendation, whether the work is ongoing,
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > If we have a design that is considered the one to go with, could
>> > someone propose it as the official logo, so we can see if there are
>> > any objections?  It would be good to get some closure on this.
>> >
>> > Also, I'll feel a little artistic this week, after doing that timeline
>> > ;-).   So next I'd like to then take the logo design, and create two
>> > variations that we can use to inform users about the 3.4 release.
>> >
>> > -- a "coming soon" webpage/blog logo that project supporters may put
>> > on their websites.  It would be linked to a page that we would host,
>> > with FAQ's on AOO 3.4, including information on signing up for the
>> > ooo-announce list, etc.
>>
>> A logo is a good idea, but I think building the content of this page is primary.
That needs to be a co-operative process handled in one clear thread.

>> > - a "get AOO" logo, also for supports to use on their own websites.
>> > It would be linked to our download webpage on openoffice.org.
>>
>> Totally agree. You brought this up before.
>>
>> Let's see if Drew has thoughts?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>> > The nice thing about this approach (which is used by many other
>> > projects) is we do not need to give blanket permission for anyone to
>> > use our main logo for any purpose.  And we don't need to have them ask
>> > permission for using our logo for these specific purposes. We provide
>> > a special purpose logo to be used for these common things.
>> >
>> > -Rob
>>

> Hi Rob, Dave, et al
>
> I think it makes a lot of sense to have some artwork in the way of both
> 'official' logos and 'preferred use' artwork for other sites to use when
> linking.
>
> So, - put together another treatment - These keep the gulls and bring
> back some of the other OOo 3 design elements, the wireframe wings and
> the color dots.
>
> Just two sizes 300x100 and 120x60 px examples for the moment and a
> compressed file with 4 png files and 2 source SVG (inkscape) files.
>
> Added them to the wiki at:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
>
> I like the designs with the orb involved also.
>
> Anyway - I'd like to put some time into this then over this weekend and
> really would enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth with folks, on any of
> the designs.

I like the,.  Would it be possible to have a "Coming soon" one as well?

Also, do we think these would eventually be translated?  I assume, as
a brand, "Apache OpenOffice" would always be in English, at least in
official logos.  But the "download" or "get it" text might be
translated. If so, we may want to account for 50% text expansion (or
whatever the best practice is) and leave some extra room for that.
The "download" logo, for example, leaves little room for translating
"download".  There is room to the left, but not above, because of the
arc of the dots.

-Rob