incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:25:31 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-03-13 3:38 PM  Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:15:29PM +0100, eric b wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could we remove the LibreOffice link from the main page ? (e.g. just
>>> put the name of the derivated software) ?
>>>
>>> (
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ
>>> )
>>>
>>> Such link should not appear on the first line : I remember NeoOffice
>>> who derivated the Mac version this exact way ...
>>
>> all the 6th point "Where can I get updates to the copy of OpenOffice.org
>> that I am running?" sounds like FUD.
>

> That is a very common question on the user forum and support lists. It
> deserves an answer

It may be better to emphasize the questions that will have a useful
lifetime of much more than the time it will take to achieve consensus
on the responses.  In other words, spending weeks discussing the
release date for 3.4 is a fool's errand, since 3.4 is quite close.

Of course, I'm pretty sure this FAQ thing is all just a berserker
tactic, intending to distract us from productive work.  We've seen it
before; we'll see it again.  Some of us will even learn.

Remember, having a satisfied OOo 3.3 users drop on to our list and ask
us about AOO 3.4 is not a bad thing.  We're connecting with a user.
We can introduce ourselves to them,. Wwe can direct them the
ooo-announce list.  And so on.  I hope no one sees these questions as
an inconvenience.  Trust me, once we have AOO 3.4 out, we'll still get
these questions, only they will be about AOO 4.0, and so on.  This
isn't the kind of thing that goes away, at least in a healthy project.

-Rob