incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation of genitive case of month names (posessive context)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:55:22 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-03-13 2:28 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Larry Gusaas<larry.gusaas@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> I thought the product name was changed to Apache OpenOffice. Shouldn't
>>> the
>>> release be "Apache OpenOffice 3.4"?
>>> Or are you going to use "OpenOffice.org 3.4"? Or, as you stated,
>>>  "OpenOffice 3.4"?
>>>
>> Is your legal name really Larry, or something like Lawrence?  Does
>> your middle initial stand for something, or is it really just "I"?
>

> Are you going to answer the question? Or just make totally irrelevant
> remarks about my name?

I thought the point was obvious.  Sorry if it was not clear.  We have
proper names and we have short names.  When I make an off-hand mention
of "OpenOffice" or even "AOO" that does not imply that I'm making a
formal notice of a product renaming. Just as you being called "Larry"
does not amount to a legal name change.

There is a place for using formal names. When I sign a legal document
I am "Robert Cameron Weir".  But here I am just Rob Weir.  When we
mention the product in a formal setting, we will call it "Apache
OpenOffice" at the first mention of it on a page or an article or a
press release.  But subsequent references in the same document may
just be called "OpenOffice".  Formal names and short names. I'm sure
we're all familiar with the concept.

-Rob