incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Implementation of genitive case of month names (posessive context)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:33:24 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Larry Gusaas <> wrote:
> On 2012-03-13 2:55 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Larry Gusaas<>
>>  wrote:
>>> Are you going to answer the question? Or just make totally irrelevant
>>> remarks about my name?
>> I thought the point was obvious.  Sorry if it was not clear.  We have
>> proper names and we have short names.  When I make an off-hand mention
>> of "OpenOffice" or even "AOO" that does not imply that I'm making a
>> formal notice of a product renaming. Just as you being called "Larry"
>> does not amount to a legal name change.
> The point was obvious, but it did not answer the question. You still haven't
> answered the question.
> BTW, Larry is not short for Lawrence. The I obviously does stand for
> something since it has a period after it.
>> There is a place for using formal names. When I sign a legal document
>> I am "Robert Cameron Weir".  But here I am just Rob Weir.  When we
>> mention the product in a formal setting, we will call it "Apache
>> OpenOffice" at the first mention of it on a page or an article or a
>> press release.  But subsequent references in the same document may
>> just be called "OpenOffice".  Formal names and short names. I'm sure
>> we're all familiar with the concept.
> None of which answer my question. "Shouldn't the release be "Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4"?
> The wiki page
> states:
> "Future releases from the domain will be called "Apache
> OpenOffice"." and"
> "Once Apache OpenOffice v3.4 is released, the project recommends you replace
> your installation with it."

That wiki is just Simon having a spirited conversation with himself.
I would not use it for anything more than a source of entertainment.
On a slow day,

> However the developer snapshots still install as  "".
> So which name will the release version use? Is that clearer so you can
> understand the question?

Actually that would have been a simpler question to ask.  What you
actually did is interject into a thread about calendar localization
and when I wrote "We are in our final weeks of testing and bug fixing
for our OpenOffice 3.4 release" you started asking questions about why
I had not said "Apache OpenOffice 3.4". I hope you can see how that
was not a very good way of raising a new, entirely unrelated subject
in an exiting thread.

In any case, in the latest dev snapshots the about box says "Apache
OpenOffice".  There may be places where the changes has not yet been
made, in the code and on the website.

> --
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website:
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
> theirs." - Edgard Varese

View raw message