incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:38:54 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com>wrote:

> Many great thoughts here.
>
> In addition to supporting the open source movement, perhaps we could
> market participation as a way to learn and develop skills.
>
> As a newbie, it appears that much our message is around what we need -
> which is essential to understand, however we may want to focus on why
> someone may want to join and help them realize their goals.
>
> For example, if someone is looking to demonstrate their skills and develop
> portfolio work products, then AOO offers a sandbox of opportunity.

That is certainly one possible motivation.  Someone at the start of their
career, or considering a new career, starts with less in their resume.  So
open source participation can be almost like an unpaid internship -- gain
some experience, skills, references, etc.

There was a study a few years ago that looked at open source participation,
specifically looking at Apache projects.  The authors found:

"First, we find that developers’ motivations are not independent but rather
are related in complex ways. Being paid to contribute to Apache projects is
positively related to developers’ status motivations but negatively related
to their use-value motivations. Perhaps surprisingly, we find no evidence
of diminished intrinsic motivation in the presence of extrinsic
motivations; rather, status motivations enhance intrinsic motivations.
Second, we find that different motivations have an impact on participation
in different ways. Developers’ paid participation and status motivations
lead to above-average contribution levels, but use-value motivations lead
to below-average contribution levels, and intrinsic motivations do not
significantly impact average contribution levels. Third, we find that
developers’ contribution levels positively impact their performance
rankings. Finally, our results suggest that past-performance rankings
enhance developers’ subsequent status motivations."

http://mansci.journal.informs.org/content/52/7/984.abstract

(And no, I have zero idea what that means.  But it sure sounds impressive.)

In any case, new volunteers have various motivations, and so do more
experienced members who volunteer to mentor new participants.  So all sorts
of combinations are interests are possible.  But I suspect the same two
questions occur over and over again:

1) What are some things I can work on now that match my skill level and
time commitment?

2) I want to do X,  How do I get started, technically or procedurally?

In other words, we have volunteers looking for an area to help with, and we
have others who want to accomplish something specific, but need help
figuring out how to do it.

-Rob

Some thoughts.