incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:33:53 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

> still I don't see why I should consider pointing people
> that want to update OOo to LO. I do think now that we
> should point more people to Lotus Symphony ... after
> all it will be very similar to AOO 4.0 and it's
> available now. But first we will get out this
> release.

I think this discussion would benefit from thinking more like a user.
Why would someone want to update OpenOffice?  It is not like OOo 3.3
just stops working.  It works with all of the latest operating
systems.  So an OOo 3.3 user can continue using it.  Of course, it is
very natural for a user to want something fresh, some new features,
some new toys.  We all want that, right?  So if a user asks about
"updating" or "upgrading" OOo 3.3, we should tell them that 3.4 is
coming, but they don't need to wait for that release to "upgrade their
experience".  Talk to them about the great extensibility features in
OpenOffice,  Show them the newly relaunched extensions and templates
repository.  Point out some of the highlights there.  Get the user to
understand that they don't need to install a new application, get new
bugs, new incompatibilities and new headaches just to get new
features.  They can add (and remove) new features whenever they want.

Being perceptive about what users want allows us to be pro AOO, pro
user and pro public interest.  Educating our users in how our product
works and how to best use OpenOffice should be a more mission of the
project.

-Rob