incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query re possible Release blocker
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:15:23 GMT
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:53:11 +0000
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:36:44 -0400
>> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> > It looks like Lily is testing with Windows 7 as well.
>> >
>> > I wonder whether the fact that the upgrade server is down
>> > could be currently masking the issue?
>>
>> It regularly failed when the old OOo Upgrade server refused to
>> make a connection, which may have been a factor.
>
> I need to stress that the problem only arose after Win7 SP1 was
> installed; the presence of IE9 on Win7 is sufficient to cause the
> problem.

I'm just trying to find a plausible cause that fits the observed facts:

1) Bug reported before with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9

2) Bug goes away when you disable OOo's automatic updates

2) But bug is not observed in current testing, not in Lily's testing
with Windows 7, or with Ross's use.

3) Update server was once working, but is not working now

So two plausible theories that are worth testing:

A) Bug actually exists in AOO today, but no one is testing with SP1
and IE 9 installed

B) Bug actually exists in AOO today, but is masked by the
non-availability of the update service

We can never prove the absence of a bug, but it is probably worth
testing to make sure that neither A nor B lead to a reproducible bug.

-Rob