incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: openoffice.fm
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:42:42 GMT
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Raphael Bircher <rbircher@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 14.03.12 15:53, schrieb Donald Whytock:
>> There's a site offering, supposedly, a version of OpenOffice called
>> OpenOffice.fm:
>>
>> http://download.openoffice.fm/free/
>>
>> No mention of Oracle or Apache in the licensing, though it does have a
>> news blurb about OpenOffice joining Apache.
>>
>> FAQ and forum links point to openoffice.org. Links to the source for
>> versions 3.3 and 3.2.1 point to openmirror.org; www.openmirror.org
>> gives a webserver default page.
>>
>> Some of the fine print says the installer will present opt-ins for
>> other software.  I guess that's their business model.
>>
>> Haven't tried to download the source or binary.
> What comfuse me is, that the installer is only 33 MB. So they have not
> the original package for sure.  But the site as is looks not as a bad
> idea like download trap. I think we should contact them, and ask them
> gently what they exactly want.

If you look at the digital signature for that file it is really
"DownloadAdmin".  It is from Tightrope Interactive.   That name might
ring a bell.  That was the company that tried (and failed) to register
OpenOffice as a trademark in the US three days after Oracle said it
was contributing OpenOffice to Apache.  Tightrope was also the owner
of the the OpenOffice.com website that was distributing similar
ad-ware versions of OpenOffice.org.

It looks like they've done similar things with other open source
projects and have been to court at least once over their practices:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45478724/Geeknet-v-Tightrope-Answer-and-Counterclaims

I'm not sure a "gentle reminder" will accomplish much here,considering
they are notorious for this kind of thing.  But I suppose that is the
Apache Way.  let's blow then kisses ;-)

-Rob